Matt Wuerker
(Click for larger image)

Originally posted to Daily Kos on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 03:00 PM PDT.

Also republished by Comics.

Tags

EMAIL TO A FRIEND X
Your Email has been sent.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.

Add keywords that describe this diary. Separate multiple keywords with commas.
Tagging tips - Search For Tags - Browse For Tags

?

More Tagging tips:

You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?

You must be a member of a group to use this feature.

Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
(The diary will be removed.)
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?

•  LOL ain't it the truth !!!! (6+ / 0-)

Now its the our turn, we are the

99%

Move Single Payer Forward? Join 18,000 Doctors of PNHP and 185,000 member National Nurses United

by divineorder on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 03:06:14 PM PDT

•  Not funny, not yet (7+ / 0-)

I appreciate the point but there are a lot of people trapped in Lower Manhattan and it's not just investment bankers. Also, in fairness, this mess isn't the companies who are located in Lower Manhattan's fault. The city just wasn't built to withstand a hurricane.

•  The elderly mothers of some (10+ / 0-)

of my high-school classmates are stuck on their upper floor Lower East Side apartments. They, like millions of other NYC area residents, are not rich and are as deserving of help as anyone else.

•  If I wanted to be accurate, I would point out (3+ / 0-)
      janmtairy, Dave1845, wader

that many of the companies located on Wall Street have been actively engaged, either as a corporation or just as their top officers, in pursuing a candidate who would help to ensure these kinds of disasters would get worse by enabling policies that make global warming worse.

I might further point out that the companies that are going to have public monies expended upon the fixing of their infrastructure and other flood and wind damages not covered by insurance are amongst the ones who could best afford to fix these things themselves.  I realize much of the aid is in the form of loan guarantees rather than outright grants, but they'll still be taking the money and diminishing the pot available to those who don't have their own resources to rebuild.

I might even further point out that the loudest voices, as illustrated, of these people are the ones who have most loudly been protesting against government interference in their lives and their businesses.

I won't point those things out, though, because there are tens of thousands of people who aren't the titans of Wall Street who are trying to live their lives either as residents of lower Manhattan or as employees of businesses that exist there and need help restoring electricity and transportation, repairing flood damage and all manner of things damaged by this unique (so far) storm.  Beyond those tens of thousands are the rest of the people of the planet who are affected in some way - direct, indirect or remotely, by decisions and actions taken by those people who live and work in lower Manhattan.

I love this cartoon.

•  I would love this cartoon a lot more (2+ / 0-)
        thomask, ColoTim

if the people scrambling for the life preserver were tea partiers instead of financiers - the irony would be richer.  Financiers always expect the government to save their asses, because it always has and probably always will; it's the tea partiers who need to learn not to depend on government - that seems to be their raison d'etre.

"In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican." - H. L. Mencken

by SueDe on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 03:48:03 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  It's a metaphor (2+ / 0-)
      wader, thomask

It's about the bailout of the financial markets, not about a literal flood on the literal island of Manhattan. The subtext is about how eagerly Wall St. and the bankers cried for help while Mitt Romney, who represents them, wants to end FEMA and make sure real people in real disasters don't get aid.

Romney fires people and then complains they don't pay taxes.

by Red Bean on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 03:35:18 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  I think that since Wall Street feels (0+ / 0-)

entitled to those government services that they would deny others like those in Lower Manhattan, it is as funny as any pointed political cartoon can be. Mitt is their boy, but they would squawk if FEMA didn't show them every special consideration. It's about cognitive dissonance.

"The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power. Now do you begin to understand me?" ~Orwell, "1984"

by Lily O Lady on Fri Nov 02, 2012 at 08:29:35 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  God Help Us (2+ / 0-)
    maryabein, wader

But I could see everything from the Bush/Cheney era repeating itself at some point. The wars sold on lies. The financial collapses. Bubbles. All of it.

I wouldn't be shocked at all if we ended up re-bailing out Wall Street all over again down the line.

I hope I'm wrong. I pray I'm wrong.

But I don't think I am.

You have to fundamentally put these people in check, and put tough regulations in place, and I don't know if that is ever going to really happen short of a total collapse and starting over from scratch.

I am from the Elizabeth Warren and Darcy Burner wing of the Democratic Party

by LeftHandedMan on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 03:07:04 PM PDT

•  Oh, and this election cycle was awful (4+ / 0-)
      ColoTim, maryabein, SueDe, wader

we truly live in a post-truth world.

Mitt Romney ran a campaign entirely on bullshit, farts, and supply-side fairy dust, and although I believe he's going to come up short, he came far too close to the White House for a fraud and his boy fraud sidekick.

I am from the Elizabeth Warren and Darcy Burner wing of the Democratic Party

by LeftHandedMan on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 03:08:45 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  Great cartoon! (3+ / 0-)
    ColoTim, Red Bean, wader

I hadn't realized that there is a pig attached to the top of the Empire State Building.   I'll look for it the next time I'm in NYC!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

by Bob Duck on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 03:07:53 PM PDT

•  After the Election. . . . (0+ / 0-)

I fully expect a re-elected President Obama to reach across the aisle to a bunch of thoroughly humiliated, repudiated, and dejected Republican legislators, and ask them to join him in a bi-partisan effort to rebuild America.  It is time to begin to rebuild our infrastructure.  We can employ our unemployed Americans.  We can begin to address the future with new bridges, waterfronts, causeways, roads, and public infrastructure.  We can upgrade our utilities, burying our outdated above-ground utility lines.  We can upgrade our mass transit.

There is so much to do to rebuild and upgrade the USA and get ready for the 21st Century.  There is no reason that our networking capabilities lag behind third world nations.  There is no reason that our public transportation is not a model for the world.

It is time to challenge ourselves and to challenge our industries, our leaders and our nation.  America #1 needs to be more than a slogan, it needs to be the truth!

Dick Cheney said, "Pi$$ on 'em!" And, Ronald Reagan replied, "That's a Great Idea. Let's Call it 'Trickle Down Economics!"

by NM Ray on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 03:15:59 PM PDT

•  And he'll be treated just as rudely as he was (3+ / 0-)
      rdbaker43, wader, NM Ray

when he started as President because not only will he still be a Black Man (OMG!) in the White House but he'll also be a lame duck president and the race for the White House, with all its posturing, has already begun.

The Republicans, as others on Kos have pointed out today, will I believe double down thinking that Mitt was done in by Hurricane Sandy and by concerns over just how loyal he was to conservatism.  If they just had a purer, more charismatic candidate like a Huckabee or a Christie (though Christie has damaged himself by welcoming help from the Federal government for this storm) they'd be able to take back their White House and the government from the evil Democrats.

I hope President Obama, with Nancy Pelosi restored as the Speaker of the House (please, FSM) and with Harry Reid modifying the filibuster rules of the Senate will be able to launch a more liberal, progressive agenda in spite of united Republican opposition rather than with the assistance of moderate Republicans because they don't exist anymore.  We need to fix this country but we can't do it by involving Tea Party or Norquist Republicans.

•  Naomi Klein tweeted a couple hours ago (2+ / 0-)
    wader, enhydra lutris

that the "shock doctrine" types are using Sandy as an opportunity to claim the superiority of the "free market" in disaster relief.  I haven't followed her links yet, I don't know that I could read  what she found without projectile vomiting.

Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?

by ActivistGuy on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 03:37:01 PM PDT

•  Disaster Bonds (0+ / 0-)

Some years ago (late 90's), I read about something called a 'disaster bond', and its available 'derivative product solutions'. I wonder if these were considered in the affected areas.

I hope this link works. Still figuring out the mechanics of this site. I expect this type of article makes an appearance often enough that more recent info is available. I just remember having a "huh... interesting" moment when I first read about them.

Bonds From Insurers Thrive if Nature Is Kind
    By Digby Larner
    Published: January 11, 1997

"... FOR INVESTORS with a particularly speculative bent, the insurance industry is offering a chance to bet against earthquakes, hurricanes and other natural disasters.

Known as disaster bonds, these instruments offer high returns if insurance claims are low, but in exchange, investors take on some of the insurers' risks. "

•  These bonds seem particularly risky (0+ / 0-)

investments in this age of the planet's heating up and the climate's changing.  I would guess the bulk of customers for these bonds would be followers of Jim Inhofe.

by SueDe on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 04:03:49 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  oops... the link (1+ / 0-)
    wader

Bonds From Insurers Thrive if Nature Is Kind

Bonds From Insurers Thrive if Nature Is Kind
    By Digby Larner
    Published: January 11, 1997

•  This is a challenging metaphor at a sensitive time (0+ / 0-)

to very good effect, I feel.

While we remaining concerned and hoping for those affected by Sandy, there's always the reminder that Investement bankers symbolize the level of uncontextual selfishness to see even this tragic and tough time from only their perspective: give them more, more, more.  It symbolizes selfishness without limits, unguarded greed and a complete lack of touch with the true issues others must live through in the world, I feel.

"So, please stay where you are. Don't move and don't panic. Don't take off your shoes! Jobs is on the way."

by wader on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 04:12:59 PM PDT

•  Being a native New Yorker,... (1+ / 0-)
    Hedwig

...I'm not feeling the love.  Or the humor.

I'm not always political, but when I am I vote Democratic. Stay Democratic, my friends. -The Most Interesting Man in the World

by boran2 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 05:32:41 PM PDT

Click here for the mobile view of the site