View Diary: Twinkies ad: Captain Industry vs. Union-Man (41 comments)

•  share vs like (6+ / 0-)

i used to be able to "share" things from dkos. now i only see a "like" button.

not the same.

If only Michael Phelps hadn't smoked that pot...imagine what he could have accomplished with motivation and good lung capacity.

by papa monzano on Thu Dec 06, 2012 at 07:11:26 AM PST

•  try the ShareThis plugin for your browser (4+ / 0-)

used to be integrated on the site. not sure why the change was made.

Plugins available for Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, and Chrome.

Reforms come from below. No man with four aces howls for a new deal.
      Keystone XL will raise gas prices!

by Turbonerd on Thu Dec 06, 2012 at 08:04:18 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  thanks (3+ / 0-)
        Turbonerd, here4tehbeer, wader

was there even a FP announcement about the site changes?

if only there was a way for dkos to put information out to readers.....

by papa monzano on Thu Dec 06, 2012 at 08:35:09 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  There was a recent post about non-specific changes (1+ / 0-)
          wader

that were being rolled out - don't think it front paged though.

Even though my sub has kept my pages ad-free for many years, I still employed an ad blocker to kill both the "Sharing" and "Facebook" widgets... the former due to browser hangs, the latter due to FUFB.

I think the optional browser snap-in solution mentioned by Turbonerd is a much better solution overall, IMHO.

De-fund Big Religion.

by here4tehbeer on Thu Dec 06, 2012 at 12:31:17 PM PST

[ Parent ]

•  snap in (1+ / 0-)
            wader

yeah, i just added it to my browser here...i REALLY liked being able to share a story from whatever computer i'm on, though, and I don't have the ability to add a plug-in to every machine i might be on.

going to the FB page to share from there means never getting to share non-frontpage stories, which to me misses the point.

all in all, this feels like a way to SLOW viral spreading of dkos articles, which makes no damn sense. it also put the extra effort on the reader to share, which is counter to the goal of disseminating info.

that this comes on the heels of me asking the helpdesk about kosMail and group management only to be told "yeah, you should form a google group" just floors me.

by papa monzano on Thu Dec 06, 2012 at 01:47:11 PM PST

[ Parent ]

•  I'm an old school sharer by nature, preferring (1+ / 0-)
              papa monzano

the "copy link / go to destination / paste link with explainer" method over the one-click semi-blind method. As such I didn't really miss the feature and hadn't considered the multi-machine aspect you mentioned.

I'd have to guess that there either wasn't sufficient usage to justify overhead or there was a desire to keep tighter control or get better data or something. Or maybe it just got left out for a minute and will come back in a future update.

Dunno about the groups issue -- hell, I've been trying to find my "Hotlist" for the last few months myself :/

De-fund Big Religion.

by here4tehbeer on Thu Dec 06, 2012 at 07:19:44 PM PST

[ Parent ]

•  Go to (1+ / 0-)
      Dirtandiron

the DKos FB page to share.

You can't keep a mighty tree alive (much less expect it to thrive) by only spritzing the fine leaves at its tippy-top. The fate of the whole tree depends on nurturing the grassroots. - Jim Hightower

by PSzymeczek on Thu Dec 06, 2012 at 09:09:21 AM PST

[ Parent ]

Click here for the mobile view of the site